A sawmill called Lockwood Mills was built by Joseph Lockwood and Isaac J. Sillimanon on the banks of Big Raccoon creek in about 1823. Later a burrstone was added for grinding corn and wheat, and over time the mill became primarily a grist mill. The village that sprang up around the mill was initially called Lockwood Mills, but courtesy of residents indulging in hard drinking and fighting it became known as Sodom. In 1849 the village was renamed Bridgeton and a crude open bridge was built across the creek. The open bridge was replaced by a  covered bridge in 1868 then the following year the mill burned down. A new four storey grist mill opened in January 1871, but the sawmill was not rebuilt.  The railroad arrived in 1891 but limited finances and bad management resulted in poor timekeeping and frequent derailments. It closed in 1929. Today, Bridgeton is a small unincorporated community, but every October it comes alive for the Covered Bridge Festival. We visited during the festival.


Bridgeton Mill

The 1871 mill at Bridgeton is the oldest continuously operating mill west of the Allegheny Mountains.  It was purchased in 1940 by Ernest and Mildred Weise and they operated as the Weise Milling Company. In 1957 falling water levels in Big Raccoon Creek forced the Weises’ to convert the mill to electricity.  Daily commercial operations at the mill ended in 1969 but Weises continued to use it to produce products for tourists and mail order customers. Mike and Karen Roe purchased Bridgeton Mill in 1995 and they continue to operate it for special events including the Covered Bridge Festival. Click Tab 2 to see the working machinery at the mill.

Case Log Cabin

The Case Log Cabin is the original homestead cabin of the Seba Case family who settled in Parke County in the early 1820's.  It is one of the the oldest log homes in the county. It is open during all special events  and weekends from April to December.

Bridgeton Covered Bridge

The 1868 Covered Bridge was a double span Burr Arch bridge built by a crew led by J.J. Daniels. It sits immediately above the dam that forms the mill pond.  It was in use for 100 years but was closed to traffic in 1968. Sadly, it was was destroyed by an arson attack on April 28, 2005. The local community worked together to replace the covered bridge and this historically accurate reconstruction of the original bridge was completed in October 2006. Click Tab 2 to see a diagram of a Burr Arch.

Bridgeton 1878 House

This Victorian house close to the mill was originally the millers home.  The Bridgeton 1878 House is now a gift shop and wedding venue.

Click on Minimap to navigate


- The mill is fascinating.
- The reconstruction of the Covered Bridge is very good.
- It is heaving with people during the Covered Bridge Festival, but some of the attractions are not open outside of special events.
Our View
We like 5
But not 5

To move forwards or backwards through the Indiana  trail click the arrows above, or select your next destination on the Minimap.

State Page
Indiana MinimapOhioKentuckyIllinoisMichiganAmish CountryBillie Creek Village IndianapolisCovered BridgesBridgetonLinclon Boyhhod Home NM
Indiana MinimapOhioKentuckyIllinoisMichiganAmish CountryBillie Creek Village IndianapolisCovered BridgesBridgetonLinclon Boyhhod Home NM


Bridgeton Mill, Bridgeton, IN, USA
Tab 1
Tab 2


Case Log Cabin (1822), Bridgeton, IN, USA
Bridgeton 1878 House, Bridgeton, IN, USA



Bridgeton Covered Bridge, Bridgeton, IN, USA
Tab 1
Tab 2

Home > US States > Midwest > Indiana >


© Mike  Elsden 1981 - 2023

The contents of this page may not be reproduced in full or in part without permission

Oh! Canada Home
50 Plus DC Home